Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lost Boys of Sudan - Peter

My country, Sudan, had been in a civil war for many years. When my village was attacked by the rebels, I was forced to flee from my home. I was separated from my family and lost. I found other children who had run away from their villages and we started walking. Our journey seemed to never end and many of us died along the way. We were forced to migrate out of our country and into Kenya where there was a refugee camp. We were branded the name, 'The Lost Boys of Sudan' when we were found and given refuge.

My name is Peter and I am one of these 'lost boys.' I lived in the Kenyan refugee camp for over ten years after fleeing from my country. After so many years the camp had become my home. I was given the opportunity to go to America yet I wasn't sure what I would find there. I had heard that it was like 'heaven' but I wasn't sure I wanted to leave all my friends. Before I knew it I was on the plane to america. Everything on the plane was new to me. The food was different, even the tray they brought the food on was strange. I didn't know what to do and how to react.
I was chosen to go to Houston, Texas to a low budget house. I was shocked to see all the electrical appliances like the stove and the oven. Luckily a guide was there to show my roommates and I the way. We were starting to become familiar with the place but we still couldn't believe how much we could eat there as we only had to meals a day at the camp. I was working a minimum wage job and just getting enough money for food and rent. Since my roommates and I were paying rent together, I had some extra money and was able to send some back to help Sudan.We were trying to adjust to the American culture as it was greatly different to ours. For example if two men were found holding hands they would be called homosexual and ignored by people while this was normal in Sudan.

I didn't have almost any free time in Houston and that wasn't the life I was looking for. Almost all I was doing was working and eating and had almost no spare time to get to know people or go to school. I also felt insecure in the house I was in as it was a poor neighborhood with a lot of crime. As soon as I had enough money, I bought a car and moved to Kansas City.

When I got to Kansas, I met a few other Sudanese and lived with them. I tried to apply for school only to find out I was too old to get in. My friend told me that the age I had been given wasn't exact and I could change it to get into school. Eventually I got into school and started to meet new people. I also tried out basketball and went to church where I met even more people. I was still balancing work with other things but my life felt a lot better here. In school I was interviewed by a person who was writing for the newspaper and she asked me questions about my past. I felt a bit uncomfortable when she asked me certain things like "How did your father die?"

I got along in school and eventually I was getting close to graduating. I went to the principal to talk to him about getting into a 4 year college but he tried to persuade me to go to a public college. I told him I had got into honor role and he seemed amazed that I could've done that. We kept talking and he kept getting surprised by my achievements, like he couldn't believe I could have gotten so far. Eventually I did get a scholarship ('Lost Boys' FAQ) in a full length college.

I was still trying to balance my life in America, and what I believed was my duty to help my country. I have now built a life here in America, but I will still go back to help my country when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment