Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lost Boys of Sudan Collage Reflection



Think Creatively
In this project, I thought creatively in many different ways. One of these was that I chose to make some of my words pop out as I thought they were some of the most powerful words on my poster. I was also able to make the different stages in the stepped migration have their own section on the poster. These three sections are shown on the background of the poster where the black represents the biggest hardship and the war, the brown represents the time in the refugee camp and the white represents overcoming their obstacles and being able to go to america for a new life. I was also able to make the first half of my six word memoir stand out as I made it out of different letters but my second half of it didn't make it seem important. I could have improved upon my second half of my memoir and I didn't because I ran out of space.

Reason Critically
My text and images showed that I understood the conflict in Sudan as I was able to find pictures from all the points in the Lost Boys' journey. I was able to emphasize my understanding of their troubles in Sudan and the refugee camp with powerful images. I showed that the Lost Boys walked a long way together to a refugee camp, fleeing war and what they called hell. I also showed my understanding of the refugee camp with the pictures of the people preparing their food and other pictures of very thin people which showed their lack of food in the camp. I showed my understanding of their time in America with pictures of Peter going to school and working a low pay job. I also included words such as culture shock, education and racism which showed my understanding of their troubles.

Communicate Effectively
My collage creates awareness for the Lost Boys' plight as I am able to show many striking photos of what is going on with their lives. I tell the viewer that there is a civil war in Sudan and and the pictures and some words help tell their story. I show the viewer that the Lost Boys get a somewhat better life in America with education but that its still not perfect with racism and the culture shock that they have to deal with. I also put a website to which the viewer can go and learn more or even help.

Live Ethically
I lived ethically as I was able to demonstrate empathy in my collage an make the viewer have an emotional response. I showed many powerful pictures such as a starving young boy and the people walking a far distance. I was also able to use powerful words such as despair and racism. All these were used to evoke an emotional response from the viewer which would make them act and help the lost boys with their struggles. I also put a website called 'Care' where people could get started helping the boys and hopefully learn more about the crisis and tell other people about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment